Thursday, February 09, 2012

The Plastic Army Man

     Last month at Conference on the Ministry I was headed toward the platform where the worship team was preparing for sound check. As I approached I noticed a little girl quietly playing on the floor near one of the large screens. An empty Tupperware container was nearby and little figurines were spread around her on the floor as she sat near her father’s feet. Reminding me of one of my grandchildren, I made eye contact, smiled and began moving toward the worship team when she started explaining. One by one in lengthy detail she described each precious toy. I felt the need to stay on task but it seemed rude to walk away. “This one is just a fuzzy monster,” she explained. “But look at this!” she said with a smile, showing me how another little creature waddled forward when she set it on the carpet. Happiness seemed to gush with every detailed description. Just when I was about to explain I needed to go, she picked up a figurine that wasn’t like the others. It wasn’t fuzzy or cute and to me seemed out of place. In fact, it was a little plastic army man. I remembered playing with one like it as a child. She picked it up and with a smile said, “I like this one because green is my favorite color.” With that she sat the army man down and picked up a different toy resuming her lengthy detailed descriptions. Thoughts I didn’t express ran through my mind. “That army guy is a sharp shooter able to defend his position against unimaginable odds. He’s kneeling down like that with his weapon so he can do his job precisely.” But she saw it differently. He was her favorite color: green.
     We’ve all asked ourselves the question, “Lord why did you pick me to attempt the impossible?” I think part of the answer is found in this encounter. God simply sees His creation differently than we see ourselves. How could we argue His
perspective isn’t the most accurate? He knows how intricately He’s made us and for what purposes. But I’m a plastic army man in a sea of cute fuzzy animals. And God says something like, “Those comparisons don’t work with me. I love you
because of reasons that are very obvious to me. What I’ve placed within you in purpose and gift are more than adequate when you follow me and obediently sit at my feet.”
     The reason I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me is because of how and for what purpose He strengthens me. We are strengthened perfectly and forever thankful.

God is good,
Tim Covert

No comments: