Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Music and Memory

     Everyone creates an at-home work environment in their own way. Some choose to listen to music on their balcony in the Bahamas. How nice. Others create a space in a warm room with a window that provides a view of three feet of snow (more likely). At home, I often listen to classical music in the man cave. The music without words eventually drops off into the background. For me, music with words creates a tension between what I’m trying to do and what my ears and brain so naturally attempt to process. So I opt for soft classical music without words.
     However a few weeks ago, while in the zone, I suddenly sensed the tension. It was as if my brain forced my ears to listen, all because my high school band had played what I was hearing. I won’t bore you with the details regarding how long ago that was. Let’s just say, this particular memory connecting with that piece of music made it through the dust. I was shocked how my brain recalled not only the music, but the great memories.
     The phenomenon I just described has obvious spiritual application. Ten years from now someone will hear music you selected during a particular time span of music ministry. It will trigger an incredible memory associated with a powerful spiritual encounter. People will remember the encouraging worship song that helped them through their darkest hour. I’ve heard a wide variety of reasons worship leaders give for selecting worship music. The song has a great groove, or the guitar solo rocks. There’s nothing wrong with any of that, but I am so encouraged by the dynamic of music, memory and spiritual encounters!
     What worship music are you currently selecting Music Pastor? Have you considered its far reaching effect? I know you love the ministry the Lord has allowed you to pursue. Praise God for your obedience and ability. Reach as many as possible in the local church with a future memory. Years from now, somebody will thank you for it!

God is good,
Tim Covert

No comments: