Wednesday, October 19, 2005

It's All About MeeeYou

I read in a devotional recently, "The greatest heights to which most Christians, in their shortsightedness, seem to rise, is to strive for resignation to things they cannot alter and to seek for patience to endure them. As a result, thanksgiving is almost an unknown exercise among the children of God... Moreover, I am afraid a great many not only fail to give thanks, but they do exactly the opposite and allow themselves instead to complain about God's dealings with them. Instead of looking for His goodness, they seem to delight in picking out his alleged shortcomings and think they show a spirit of discernment in criticizing His laws and His ways. We are told that "when the people complained, it displeased the Lord" (Num. 11:1); but we are tempted to think that our complaining is special because it is spiritual complaining and is a sign of our great zeal and deep spiritual insight." Hannah Whitall Smith (from the devotional God Is Enough). I was reminded of my apparent thankless attitude recently after I struggled to lead our congregation in worship and wanted to talk about it privately. It would be wonderful if every time we stepped up to minister problems disappeared. During another worship set, concerned once again about mechanics, I misspoke words in the song Jesus, Lover of My Soul. Instead of singing "It's all about You Jesus", I sang, "It's all about meeeeYou Jesus." What kind of slip was that? As Hannah Whitall Smith pointed out, personal difficulties have a tendency of narrowing the focus to "me" instead of embracing "Him" in the problem. I was greatly encouraged recently when I read the words again, "Be ye holy; for I am holy." 1 Pet.1:16 As P.C. Nelson has stated, God will never be satisfied with us till He has wrought (formed) His holiness in us. Eph. 5:27 tells us that He will form His holiness in us until we are without "spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it (the church) should be holy and without blemish." Sounds like God is committed to us. Aren't you thankful God doesn't throw His hands up in the air and say, "it's no use, these people are beyond my help!" Instead, He works with us forming His holiness in us. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I am painfully aware of wrinkles needing to be smoothed out regarding my response to life. I thank God for allowing me to be in the process He's developed.
-Tim Covert

No comments: