Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Partnering with God


Because of my interest in sport fishing, I was given a book titled "Incredible Fishing Stories". Among the many facinating stories in this book, it is reported that Walter Kummerow set a world record for freshwater casting. His throw, confirmed by the International Casting Federation, measured 574 feet, 2 inches - nearly the distance of two football fields. Now my first reaction was........COME ON! Nobody can cast two football fields. I expected to read next that Walter was 90 pounds and 90 years young! Unbelievable. Maybe I'm a cynic at heart. The too good to be true is often...too good to be true and not true. Even so, as a Christian Pastor I am often engaged in circumstances inviting me to believe the unbelievable. And so based on the Word of God, I must change my mind about the impossible. For, "without faith it is impossible to please Him." Heb.11:6 My reality must match up with God's. Maybe it's a precious elderly man we are believing God to bless. Or, it's an infant at the other end of the spectrum of life struggling to survive with impossible odds. Or the pastor of a local church trying to "turn it around" with little to no resources. One thing is for sure. Novice fisherman often think, if I can just get way out there I'll get better results. When in reality, the fish could be a few feet away. It's not the distance of the cast that matters, but the effectiveness. So when it looks like we're in a fog, remember partnering with God makes the impossible possible. That is a certainty. The answer may be closer than you think. And I like that.
-Tim Covert

No comments: