Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Looking Out For Everyone

As a worship leader in the church, it doesn't take long to figure out what people expect. Eventually, notes will mysteriously appear with carefully worded suggestions - sometimes not so carefully worded. There's also the disinterested stare during corporate worship accompanied by a refusal to sing, that suggests someone is uncomfortable or unhappy. I've had to work hard at not making assumptions based on how people appear. When I have, often I've been wrong and then feel awkward that I let such thoughts run through my mind during our time of worship. Yes, worship pastors can be sidetracked like anyone else. Recently I read some constructive comments by another pastor named Nancy Beach. She made several simple suggestions with her apparently very non-musical husband in mind. I thought they were definitely worth repeating. Her suggestions are directed at worship leaders. 1) Please choose singable songs. 2) Must we repeat so much. 3) May I please sit down. 4) Stretch me with the lyrics. 5) Worship is more than singing. You can read more on these topics at www.christianitytoday.com/le/2005/004/15.105.html
-Tim Covert

Tags: , ,

No comments: