Friday, January 13, 2006

Vision For Worship

As I sit in my office I see music everywhere. Song books stacked nearly to the ceiling. I have racks of CD's... there's even printed music and CD's piled on the floor, yet to be heard. I have a shelf full of magazines and books pertaining to worship, sound, and buildings, with opinions and information for effective worship ministry on every page. I have computer access to much more as well. And I've thought at times, maybe like you, "where are we going with all this"? Years ago, when I first started, I wanted everything I could get my hands on. I was interested in the new, the innovative, what I considered at the time, fresh. I think my motives were pure. But over time, I've noticed, conversations about the latest worship songs leave me feeling a little...empty. How about you? I need to say, I am constantly looking for new and dynamic worship songs, but I'm looking for other things as well. I read a quote by Bob Sorge recently that stated, "When we lose our vision for worship, we can become disillusioned or despairing." This comment in his book "Experiencing Worship" is a cause and effect statement we're familiar with. After you have led your thousandth plus worship set, musical mechanics should be dialed in fairly well. So after the stage has been set to effectively lead worship, is the congregation actually worshipping? As a music minister, is it possible we could sing about worshipping God, but be disllusioned and despairing? Is our vision for worship, waning? Thank God we know, it's a fresh relationship with Christ that fuels the flame of worship and not simply the latest worship style or song. There is always an element of pressing on - vision including new worship songs, new levels of commitment and proficiency. But that vision needs to include our pursuit of Him at the top of the ministerial job description list. Never should our pursuit of either be lacking. Only a relationship with Jesus moves us from mechanical to spiritual. And spiritual worship helps us and others keep on track. Thankfully that close connection with God brings a satifaction and more importantly, effectiveness, that arrives no other way.
- Tim Covert

Tags: , ,

No comments: