Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Spirit of the Matter

I'm convinced (as the years flash by) that our worship is more about heart attitude than anything else. You say, "yeah, tell me something I don't already know. I'm moving on to the next blog". The fact remains, articulating this concept and putting it into practice are two seperate things. It takes God's call, experience, and examination of personal motives, before we can actually begin leading with a Christ-like attitude. This self examination must be on going if we want to effectively continue. The Holy Spirit knows our hearts all too well. He is never fooled. As R.T. Kendall so eloquently states in his book, Sensitivity To The Holy Spirit, we can go about the business of leading in personal and spiritual matters, even when (I'm paraphrasing) "the dove has simply removed Himself from our activity". There is nothing necessarily spiritual about "going through the motions" of any brand of true worship liturgy. But there should be. And God knows whether we have set ourselves up as the main focal point or if we have purposefully faded out of the spotlight so He can do what He wants to do, how He wants to do it. If this is not a concern, time will be the test of your worship leading effectiveness. I'm not talking about something spooky here. God simply wants to move in our services as He chooses. Not as we choose. There is absolutely nothing I can do to make Him move. But there is something I can do to create an atmosphere for Him to move in. And there are things I can do that cause Him to move on. What I am talking about is not related to musical style or personalities. This is not about the latest worship song or spiritual songs of previous generations. I'm talking about the heart. The heart has always been at issue. Oh, that the critical mass of the local church would desire to worship God in a way that shatters the influence of the enemy, and invites the presence of God to accomplish His will, in the individual as well as the corporate body. The worship leader plays an important role and must be in right relationship with God (and with the Senior Pastor), so music / drama / dance etc. will facilitate true worship. This takes nothing less than the empowerment of the Spirit of God. Ultimately; human will, musical skill, charisma, looks, administrative skill, influence, (all the things we like to think we have) take a back seat to God's will and His choice to reveal His presence. I need Him to help me. I want Him to have His way. And He promises He will, if I'll let Him. The ball is in my court. And yours. What will you do?
-Tim Covert

Tags: , , ,

No comments: